Disc Brake Project – Rounding the Final Turn

Sometimes, I do some pretty boneheaded things.  Most of the time, I can chalk it up to being in a hurry or trying something I’ve never done before.  My most recent screw up was the fault of the latter – prior to last week, I’d never installed wheel bearings in a brake rotor before.  The new bearings were supplied with a mating race, which I assumed I needed to install in the bore of the rotor.  So after packing the bearings with grease, I used a large socket to drive in the race.  The race went in part of the way and then stopped, but I could tell from looking at it that it wasn’t far enough in.  I test fit the bearing and seal and they were clearly too far out.  I gave the race a few more taps with the hammer, but it wouldn’t budge.  At this point, I took a look at the rotor for the other side of the car, and noticed that was already a race installed; I was trying to drive a second race on top of the existing one.  I flipped the rotor over, tapped the second race out, and the greased bearing slid right into place, followed by the seal.  Luckily, it doesn’t appear as though I caused any real damage.

Despite my idiocy (which cost me about 20 minutes of trying to figure out what I had done wrong), I was able to mount the rotor and loaded caliper on the car.  I had to do some creative work with a leftover piece of metal and a pair of tin snips to replicate a clip that had crumbled when I removed the original hoses, but I made it work and was able to install the hoses, completing the brake portion of this project:

Unfortunately, in what has become a recurring excuse, I was derailed by yard work, two sick kids, and my own lingering head cold.  Next up is installing the brake master cylinder.  Fingers are crossed that I can make my existing brake lines work, because it’s the home stretch from there on out.

Advertisements

Comments are disabled.

%d bloggers like this: