Carburetor Rebuild Project – Research and Stasis

It’s been quite a while since I provided an update on my “easy” winter project, but that doesn’t mean I’ve been entirely slacking.  Unlike last year, when I was deterred by the thought of lying on cold garage floor with transmission fluid in my hair, I’ve actually had the itch the work in the garage but not the time.  In the meantime, I’ve done a good bit of research and some additional cleaning.  In the process, I’ve learned that reman carbs like mine are a bit of a hodgepodge of parts, and fully rebuilding and tuning them can be a bit of a crapshoot.  As a result, I’ve decided to scale back my plans a bit and focus on cleaning, regasketing, and a limited amount of tuning – just enough work to get the car running smoothly and cleanly.  Rather than throw a bunch of money, time, and parts at a carb that may not ever work 100% correctly, I’ll minimize my investment and move on to another fuel mixer if this one doesn’t run right after that.  With that in mind, I ordered a basic rebuild kit today (rather than the more extensive and expensive kit I was planning), and I’ll throw in the fatter jets and rods from one of my spare carbs (rather than meticulously measuring tiny idle tubes and air bleed passages in an attempt to match parts and maximize horsepower).  Once the kit arrives, hopefully everyone in my family stays healthy long enough to give me the time and energy to spend a few late nights in the garage getting everything buttoned up.

Advertisements

One response to “Carburetor Rebuild Project – Research and Stasis

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: