It’s been nearly a year since my last post about the Tempest, so let’s quickly get up to speed: Shortly after that post, I threw in the towel and had a co-worker (who is a part-time professional mechanic) fix the transmission leak. I felt a little vindication when it took him a couple days and a few attempts to figure it out – it turns out that there was a missing o-ring on the kickdown cable connection at the transmission that was the culprit. It also explained why the car only leaked when it sat for a while – the missing o-ring was above the sump and therefore only submerged when all the fluid drained back out of the torque converter.
With that fixed, I decided to just drive the car through the fall and pretty much ignore any flaws that weren’t going to kill me. The car was parked in the garage all winter, but between the horrible weather and my other to-do list items, I didn’t really touch it until this past month. With spring around the corner and the overwhelming gasoline fumes that tend to accumulate in the garage after I drive the car finally getting the best of me, I decided to finally get around to replacing all the rubber fuel hose in the vehicle with proper steel lines. I bought new pre-bent front-to-back lines off of Craigslist, and made a second attempt to bend a new line from the pump to the carburetor.
I invested in a tubing bender that would accommodate 3/8 line, and set about making the new fuel line. The tedious process went something like this: bend, check fitment, bend again, check again, bend again, check again, get lazy and try to bend it by hand, fight off tears when the line nearly kinks, check again, swear, and finally force the line into place. God forbid I ever have to do this again, but I think I’ll take the time to remove the power steering pump and upper radiator hose to give better access to the front of the engine.
With that complete, I moved on to the main fuel line. I quickly realized that you aren’t meant to install a pre-bent line with the body still attached to the frame. I persevered through a couple hours of pushing, pulling, more swearing, and some awkward bending, and the line is pretty much where it belongs (or close enough). All that’s really left is to install new rubber hose to connect the line to the tank and the inlet of the fuel pump, and we’ll be in business.
As of right now, that’s were it sits. The weather has been rainy and chilly yet, so I haven’t really missed any driving opportunities. I should be able to get everything buttoned up and ready to drive by next week, and that’s all I’m doing to the car for a while. I have a new exhaust to install and I plan on dialing in the steering a bit (more on those later, hopefully), but if all goes according to plan I’ll be driving the Tempest earlier in the year than I’ve ever driven it before. That’s really a testament to my laziness over the winter more than anything else.